Friday, October 10, 2014

Please don't ask what your competition is offering.

This message could also be headed.
 
You don't want me to tell you what your competition is bidding.

I bet your first reaction to this statement is, hell yes, I want to know what the other guy’s offer is, and I can certainly understand your point of view. But stop and think for a second.

If I was the type of agent that would tell you, what Joe’s offer is, don’t you think there’s a good chance, I’m going to tell Joe what you offered. And you wouldn’t want that would you.

 Here are the rules. As a real estate agent in Florida today, I work for everybody involved in the transaction. The technical term is Transaction Broker. So while I am certainly on your side as far as helping you get the best possible deal, there are some important rules I cannot and will not violate.

Basically if you tell me that you are offering $X at the moment, but you are willing to go to $X+Y, I cannot pass that on to the seller, or to any one else, UNLESS you give me permission. In the old days most Realtors worked for the seller (because they were the ones paying), and that kind of intelligence was passed on to the seller.

The very first home I bought in Florida, a few weeks after we arrived here, was purchased as foreclosure from a bank. We made what I thought was a very fair offer, but let it slip to the agent that we would be willing to go a little higher . Guess how much we ended paying in the end.

Anyway those days are changed, and now it’s a more level playing field.

However please remember that if you get in a situation where you’re told that you are competing with another buyer, I won’t tell you what the other offers are. Most of the time I can’t because I don’t know, but even if I do I ain’t telling, so please don’t ask.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment